Easy veg biryani recipe | how to make veg biryani recipe in matka
Easy veg biryani recipe is a bold and delicious Indian rice dish that consists of bell peppers, peas, carrots, and potatoes in spicy rice dishes with turmeric, garam masala, and other hot spices.
Biryani has always been a recipe that I am afraid to make, although it seems that it will be a recipe that is easy to make in most Indian dishes. Rice is always very flavored.
I worry about how long to cook it and how the final combination of vegetables and rice will cook together so that both are perfectly tender and soft at the same time.
This veg biryani recipe is the easiest, no spices are added to it. No red curry paste or ginger garlic paste is needed. The resulting flavors are incredibly tasty and addictive.
Filled with herbs like vegetables, crunchy cashews, hot spices like saffron, sitaphal, and mint, this veg biryani recipe is a delight for the taste buds in every chop!
We discussed spices, I had previously mentioned biryani with only a spice packet, never mixing a spice together and putting that spicy, bold, delicious rice on top of ourselves.
what is veg biryani
Biryani is a rice dish made with layers of rice, spices, and traditionally meat (but in case veggies!).
Here are the key components of the veg biryani recipe:
Rice: Of course, rice is the basis and major ingredient of this dish. Long grain basmati rice is traditionally used. I recommend using extra long grain basmati rice for biryani. I use Zebra Sela Basmati rice and it works so well.
Veggies: So meat is traditionally used in biryani but since we are making a veg biryani recipe, we are using mixed vegetables here.
I have used potatoes, cabbage, beans, and carrots. You can use green peas, mushrooms or even cheese would be a nice addition.
Spices: aromatic and exotic spices (both whole and ground) are a must for a good veg biryani recipe.
Most commonly used are cardamom, peppercorns, cumin, saffron, garam masala. Also rose water or kewra water is often used to flavor the biryani.
Fresh herbs & nuts: Nuts like mint, sitaphal, and cashew are often added as garnishing and adding more texture and flavor to the biryani. Caramelized onions are also a great addition.
Veggies and rice are spread and the veg biryani is cooked on low heat with a heavy object placed on top of the pot of biryani. This process is called “Dum” and hence it is also known as Botanical Dum Biryani.
Is vegetable biryani healthy?
Vegetarian biryani is good for health, preferably to take brown rice. Vegetables particularly green vegetables are full of nutrients like Vit C, B, all and folate, etc…
Veg biryani recipe – rice gives carbohydrates give energy and if vegetable biryani is made up of oils like virgin olive rich in omega 3 is good for health.
What type of rice is used in the veg biryani recipe:
A classic biryani is made using basmati rice. This rice is thinner and longer than traditional long-grain rice.
How do you make biryani rice?
Rice is traditionally made using ghee (clarified butter) with onions, garlic, and ginger.
Once cooked, the vegetables are mixed with the spices and cooked until the spices swell. Rice is added to the stock and cooked until fluffy.
Why is biryani rice yellow?
How to choose rice to make it?
Both the taste and the visual appeal of biryani should stand in its preparation and hence the choice of rice is very important.
Now that this recipe takes care of the taste, the visual appeal only comes through the grain of rice. The longer the grain, the better.
I always choose rice that is extra and stands out as an individual grain. It gives the visual appeal of a blooming flower and makes it an enjoyable experience.
Therefore Basmati rice is the best option for making it, it stands apart, without creating lumps while cooking.
In the market, you now also get specially selected long grain basmati rice, which is perfect for this recipe. To make this I have used Daawat Ultima Extra Long Grain Basmati Rice.
The age of rice is also very important to make a good recipe. Choose a grain of rice that is at least 1 year old. The older the rice is, the better it is.
Tools used in the making of veg biryani recipe:
Preparation Tips for veg biryani recipe
The best quality rice to make it. Long grain basmati rice that is at least 2 years old is considered the best.
Use a heavy bottom pan to collect it. veg biryani recipe should be cooked for 15-20 minutes on low heat and if the pan is not heavy, it may burn.
You can check the recipe for making golden fried onion or barista here. They bring visual appeal to this dish and making them at home is the best way.
Be very attentive while cooking rice. Do not shake the rice too much while cooking, otherwise, it will break the grains.
Choose a pan with a tight-fitting lid. This veg biryani recipe cooks on dum or steam and we want to retain the steam that builds up inside.
Traditionally, a sealing of flour was applied around the pan and the lid, but I don’t think it is needed when the lid is pressed hard.
Tips to Make Restaurant Style Veg Biryani recipe
So, now that we know the key components for the veg biryani recipe, let’s see how to make restaurant-style vegetable biryani!
Choose the right rice: long grain basmati rice is what you should be using to make the veg biryani recipe.
My recommendation is Zebra Sella Basmati rice. It has extra-long grains and it works perfectly well in biryani.
Using fresh ingredients: like mince your own fresh ginger, garlic, and chilies. I often use store-bought ginger-garlic paste when I am short on time but for veg biryani recipe,
I always crush them fresh using my mortar and pestle. It makes a difference and you would have to trust me on that.
Pan-frying the veggies before cooking them: so before cooking the veggies, I like to pan-fry them a little. This gives the veggies a nice texture. We don’t want over-cooked vegetables in a veg biryani recipe so this extra-step helps.
Using fresh herbs & spices: I really like to flavor my veg biryani recipe with all the herbs and spices. So, I use saffron milk (which is made by mixing saffron with warm milk) and also use rose water for the final flavor.
Of course, I also use plenty of cilantro and mint.
Drizzle ghee on top: I like to drizzle some ghee as I layer the veg biryani recipe. It really elevates the flavor. Don’t forget to drizzle some extra ghee on top before cooking the biryani at the last step.
Don’t cut down on the fat: this is not healthy food you guys, so don’t cut down on steps like frying the onions in ghee. It’s something you make once in a while so no harm in indulging. Right?
How to make an easy veg biryani recipe
1- pan fry the veggies and nuts
Heat the ghee in a large pan, and add bay leaves and cinnamon. Add chopped onion, stir until golden brown, and add ginger and garlic paste. Cook until golden brown
Add the degi chili, turmeric, coriander, and cumin powder and cook until the ghee starts separating from the spices.
Now add carrots, beans, cauliflower, and salt and cook for two minutes. Add the whipped yogurt and cook until the vegetables are fully cooked and the gravy is semi-dry.
Add green chilies, ginger, kewda water, and mint leaves and cook for one and two minutes. Remove the cooked vegetables from the heat and keep aside.
2- Cook the rice
In a separate pot, boil water with salt, mace pods, cloves, and green cardamom. Add soaked rice.
And cook on low heat till the rice is cooked three quarters. Now separate the water from the rice.
3- Layer the biryani
Heat a deep pot or Matka, and add a little bit of vegetables and two tablespoons of water to it to prevent the ricer from flattening from the bottom of the pot.
Spread a layer of cooked rice at the bottom of the pot, and now add a layer of vegetables and repeat this process until the pan is full.
4- Make the saffron-milk and cook
add melted butter and ghee on the veg biryani. Mix the mace and cardamom powder together, and sprinkle over it.
Pour rice over with mint leaves, add green chilies, ginger Julians, fried brown onions, and kewda water. Cover with silver foil and cook on low flame for 15 minutes.
Once done, release the steam and tap the silver foil. Turn off the heat and leave the biryani for 10 minutes.
5- For garnish,
Open the foil, add cream, saffron, and lemon juice, and mix the rice carefully before serving hot. Serve this Veg Biryani with your favorite Raita.
Easy Matka veg biryani recipe
Easy matka veg biryani recipe
- Cast Iron Dutch Oven: I used to fry in my cast iron skillet, but this dutch oven is perfect for cooking the vegetables and rice, maintaining heat without any hot spots that may burn the food.
- matka/Clay pot: Cooking in clay pots give you all the calcium, phosphorus, iron, magnesium, sulfur and several other compounds that our body benefits from Clay being alkaline in nature helps in neutralizing the Ph balance of the food by interacting with the acid present in the food.
- Basmati Rice: The perfect rice for the biryani, do not substitute long-grain rice.
Vegetables for Veg Biryani
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- 3 leaves Bay leaf
- 3 sticks Cinnamon
- 1 medium Onion, chopped
- 10 grams Ginger paste
- 5 grams Garlic paste
- 5 grams Deghi chilli powder
- 5 grams Turmeric powder
- 5 grams Coriander powder
- 3 grams Cumin powder
- 20 grams Carrots, chopped
- 20 grams French beans, chopped
- 20 grams Cauliflower, chopped
- 100 grams Curd, whipped
- 3 grams Green chilies, solution
- 10 grams Ginger chopped
- 3 ml Kewra water
- 4-5 leaves Mint leaves
- Salt to taste
For Veg Biryani Rice
- 150 grams Basmati rice, soaked for one hour
- 4-5 nos Mace pods
- 4-5 nos Cloves
- 5 nos Green cardamom
- salt to taste
For garnish of Veg Biryani
- 5 grams Butter, melted
- 10 ml Ghee
- 51 grams Green cardamom powder
- 1 grams Javitri Powder
- 5 leaves Mint leaves
- 2 slits Green chili,
- 2 julied Ginger,
- 5 grams Fried onions
- 2 ml Kewra water
- 10 grams Cream
- 1 grams Saffron
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
pan fry the veggies and nuts
- Heat the ghee in a large pan, and add bay leaves and cinnamon. Add chopped onion, stir until golden brown, and add ginger and garlic paste. Cook until golden brown
- Add the degi chili, turmeric, coriander, and cumin powder and cook until the ghee starts separating from the spices.
- Now add carrots, beans, cauliflower, and salt and cook for two minutes. Add the whipped yogurt and cook until the vegetables are fully cooked and the gravy is semi-dry.
- Add green chilies, ginger, kewda water, and mint leaves and cook for one and two minutes. Remove the cooked vegetables from the heat and keep aside.
Cook the rice
- In a separate pot, boil water with salt, mace pods, cloves, and green cardamom. Add soaked rice.
- And cook on low heat till the rice is cooked three quarters. Now separate the water from the rice.
Layer the biryani
- Heat a deep pot or Matka, and add a little bit of vegetables and two tablespoons of water to it to prevent the ricer from flattening from the bottom of the pot.
- Spread a layer of cooked rice at the bottom of the pot, and now add a layer of vegetables and repeat this process until the pan is full.
Make the saffron-milk and cook
- add melted butter and ghee on the veg biryani. Mix the mace and cardamom powder together, and sprinkle over it.
- Pour rice over with mint leaves, add green chilies, ginger Julians, fried brown onions, and kewda water. Cover with silver foil and cook on low flame for 15 minutes.
- Once done, release the steam and tap the silver foil. Turn off the heat and leave the biryani for 10 minutes.
- Open the foil, add cream, saffron, and lemon juice, and mix the rice carefully before serving hot. Serve this Veg Biryani with your favorite Raita.
- I haven't added a lot of vegetables here since I wanted the rice to shine through. You can add more veggies if you like more veggies in your biryani.
- To make the biryani vegan, use vegan yogurt or coconut milk in place of plain yogurt. Skip the ghee and use non-dairy milk to make the saffron milk.
Did you make this?
Tag me on Instagram, I love seeing what you’ve made, Tag me on Instagram at #recifitfoodandfitness and @myrecifit or leave me a comment & rating below.
I hope you will surely like this Easy Matka veg biryani recipe. Do share it among your family and friends, if you want to give any kind of deficiency or any suggestion in it, do comment, And for similar posts, please subscribe to our blog www.recifit.com with Email.